Tuesday 5 November 2013

SOUL Post: Halloween Madness

Hi guys!

It seems like this year Halloween festivities are in overdrive. Its like the 5th November and people are still wearing their fancy dress costumes. I've been seeing witches on the tube, cats on buses and pumpkins everywhere.

Usually I'm oblivious to Halloween. I've celebrated once and that was like 10 years ago I'd say. Oh. and before that I was a mere toddler, in America with cousins where trick or treating meant heaps and heaps of candy!

So I didn't want to feel left out, after presenting at my university radio show my friend and I ventured out to KERB its a mini street food haunt in Kings Cross. We thought it would be easy to find. Easy it was not. We were feet from the venue and we could not find it. The arrow pointed straight ahead, leading to the grounds of a school. Central St Martins College of Arts and Design to be exact. It is such a beautiful building. The architecture is incredible. Even the lighting was perfect. So in the end we followed a family, who led us by longest route to KERB. It was right within the university really. It was great, smoke, lights a fully stocked bar, DJs and food stalls all "halloweened" up. 








After much deliberation I decided to try my luck with Bao. BAO is a new addition to London eats a small six seater Bar and a Market Stall, located in Netil Market, Westgate Street, E8 3RL. So Bao is a Taiwanese for bun, their classic is filled with slow braised pork belly, pickles, peanut powder and coriander all of which is made in house; even the milk to make the buns they cure themselves!





The classic bun became bun of darkness (£3.50): Squid Ink Bao, Evil Pig, Blood Sauce, Coriander, Mummified Pickles & Peanut ashes. SO GOOD! A small spicy delight full of texture and flavour. I wanted to go back for another. Definitely the highlight for me.







I rounded of with a little sweet treat from Kooky Bakes a London-based bakery of award winning small batch baked goods. I tried a red velvet cake pop (£2.50), a red velvet sponge with cream cheese dipped in white chocolate; of course for Halloween it was an eyeball. Delish. I was a little upset I was only able to have one bite, the rest fell on the ground. I should have been patient, but could not wait until I got home. Tisk Tusk.




If you're in London KERB is definitely a place to visit if you're a foodie. Find them on the Kings Boulevard Tuesday-Friday from 12-2.30pm.

To find out more head to http://www.kerbfood.com/kings-cross/

Happy November ALL!


X

No comments:

Post a Comment